Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My 18 yo daughter was on I-10 East last week-end, stopped by

an officer in Columbus, Tx....
My 18 yo daughter was on I-10 East last week-end, stopped by an officer in Columbus, Tx., exceeding the speed limit by 18 mph. The officer searched her car and found a pipe with less than 2 ozs of marijuana in bowl of pipe. She stayed in jail overnight and went to her bail hearing the next day. At this hearing she pleaded "no contest" to having less than 2 ozs of marijuana and the pipe. Her court appearance is in the middle of August and we were trying to get information as what to expect that day in court. This is her first time drug arrest. Can she change her plea to "not guilty" and be appointed a Public Defender due to monetary reasons or does she have to settle this before the Judge now?   Worried mom from Wimberley, Tx. I tried to register my e-mail but it says someone else registered with my e-mail address. It is the same person. I was trying to write to you and registered e-mail address prior to this one and got knocked off of site. So it is me with same e-mail address. Thanks
7/2/2010
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Can your daughter afford to hire her own attorney?
No
Then at her next hearing, she can ask for a court-appointed attorney and ask to withdraw her no contest plea.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer