Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

MY SON'S CAR WAS STOLEN FROM THE ROYERSFORD, PA MUNICIPALITY

MY SON'S CAR WAS STOLEN FROM THE ROYERSFORD, PA MUNICIPALITY LOT ON JUNE 7, 2010. THE VEHICLE WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT, TOTALLING THE CAR, BOTH THE DRIVER AND THE PASSENGER STOLE THE CAR. I KNOW WHO THEY ARE. I TRIED TO CONVEY THIS TO THE DETECTIVE ON THIS CASE (O'NEILL) 24TH PRECINCT, PA. HE STATED HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STOLEN CAR HE IS JUST WORKING ON THE ACCIDENT. HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME TO WORK ON A STOLEN CAR FROM ROYERSFORD AND FOUND IN PHILLY. THERE ARE CAMERAS WHERE THE ACCIDENT OCCURED SO PA POLICE IS ABLE TO SEE WHO THE DRIVER WAS. DETECTIVE O'NEIL IS NOT RETURNING OUR CALLS. TILL DATE, O'NEILL HAS NOT RELEASED MY CAR TO MY INSURANCE CO (STATE FARM). TO DATE, THE 2 PEOPLE INVOLVED HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN QUESTIONNED BY O'NEILL. IT WAS NOT TILL YESTERDAY THAT A LETTER CAME STATING WHERE THE CAR WAS BEING HELD. IMPOUND DEPT ARRIVED 24TH JUNE TO 7992 PENROSE FERRY RD, PHILA PA. BUT WE CANNOT GO GET IT NOR SEE IT CAUSE THE DETECTIVE O'NEILL STILL HAS NOT RELEASED MY CAR. HELP, I'M SO OVERWHELMED! WHAT TYPE OF ATTORNEY DO I NEED TO REPRESENT ME. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AT THIS TIME? THANKS SO MUCH.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You need to contact the Royersford Police because that is where the theft occurred and that is the jurisdiction that would prosecute the theft of the vehicle and it is up to them to investigate the stolen car. Philly police will investigate the accident since that happened in their jurisdiction. Then the Royersford Police would coordinate with the Philly Police. But as long as the car is evidence in a crime, the police will not release the vehicle and you need to negotiate with your insurer on this since they can get the ownership of the vehicle signed over to them from you and then get the vehicle when released, but this will take negotiating with the claims adjuster.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.