Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

someone without authorization or consent, programmed their

blackberry and their laptop with...
someone without authorization or consent, programmed their blackberry and their laptop with my personal/business email address so that any and all emails sent to me would also be sent to them. I never gave them consent nor knew that it was happening until they presented me with the information they stole from my emails. This was done to "catch me" in some things that they did not want me doing. None of which is illegal. They then printed them off and made threats towards me and another person. Is this act illegal and in any way a violation of state law? if so, what grade of crime is it?
7/1/2010
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Can you tell me whether the person obtained extensions of credit based upon your information?

No this person did not obtain any other information on me and did not obtain extensions of credit based upon this information.

The person may be prosecuted under both state and federal law.

Here is a link to a list of recently prosecuted cases by the Department of Justice:
http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/cccases.html

Under Texas law, the computer hacking may be prosecuted underTexas Penal Code 33.02 - Class B misdemeanor:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.33.htm

I hope this helps
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer