Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

my husband was arrested 4 weeks ago on a warrant of roobery…

Customer Question
my husband was arrested 4...
my husband was arrested 4 weeks ago on a warrant of roobery 11 years ago he is being held in rikers island ny, he has a legal aid lawyer who is terrable and wants hin to plead guilty my husnand is refusing to plead guilty as he says he did not do anything 11 years ago when he was arrested realeased on his own recogninze and told to come back to court he never went back saying he did not know he had to as there was no bail nothing set than a warrant was issued for his arrest 11 years ago he has never ben in trouble since
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/29/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

The problem is that apparently the DA still wishes to prosecute the case, and given the fact that your husband has been a fugitive from justice, bail will be very high.

Has the case been indicted yet?
no we went to court last week on tues and were told that the da just got the file on monday the day before she hasnt read it so we go back in 3 weeks if his file says he robbed someone causing injury 11 years ago why the hell was he just let walk out without bail even been set for him 11 years ago
Jacustomer,

There are several degrees of robbery. Robbery in the 3rd degree in NYS is a non-violent felony. If it was your husband's first arrest and the charge was a Rob 3, he would likely have been released on his own recognizance at his arraignment 11 years ago.

If he was charged with a Rob 1 or 2, which are violent crimes and much more serious in NYS, even for a first arrest, most judges would have set bail on him. If that was not done, it may have been a weak case.

All sorts of things could have happened in 11 years. Maybe the state will be able to prosecute this case and maybe they won't, but as they haven't gotten the file yet, it's hard to say for sure what will happen. Complainants move in ll years and/or lose interest in the case. Police officers retire. Any talk of plea at this time would be very premature. As is talk of much else, for that matter, until you know whether the state can line up its witnesses to make these charges stick after 11 years. You will know for sure on the next date if they state that they are ready to present the case to the Grand Jury.