Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

hello ) im curious to know, would i be able to sue someone…

Customer Question
hello :) i'm curious to know...
hello :)

i'm curious to know, would i be able to sue someone for the money they stole from me, even if they were convicted of comitting that crime against me?

thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Sure, in fact it helps your case b/c the conviction and anything said in court can be used by you as evidence in civil trial. A criminal conviction does NOT prevent he defendant from being sued in civil court.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Thank you Eli for your fast reply.

This particular person stole my debit card, and used it to steal money out of my checking account at a drive thru ATM machine. He was caught on camera stealing the money, and was arrested and sentenced to about 9 months in prison. The bank reimbursed me for the money he stole, plus all of the overdrafting he caused on my account. He was released on June 10th.

If i were to sue him for the 541 dollars that the bank reimbursed me for, what evidence would i need? and what would be my first step into getting everything started?

thank you

Oh hang on, if you already got reimbursed, that means you do not have a loss to claims against him really. You COULD have sued him for intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress, but that's for district court. The sum of $541 falls into small claims an an IIeD claim is just not heard there. Sorry, there is not reason to sue him now that you got your money back. It'll just be seen as vindictive, and you won't get much damages.