Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was arrested for DUI but was not behind the wheel of…

Customer Question
My son was arrested for...
My son was arrested for DUI but was not behind the wheel of his vehicle at the time. He has already requested a DMV hearing and two of his friends, who were in the car, while it was running, will testify that he was not driving. We need a public defender from contra costa county asap.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/28/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Unfortunately, Just Answer does not permit us to represent customers of this site or to provide direct referrals. However, we can point you in the right direction.

First, you should begin with your state bar association. The California State Bar has a website, it is located at www.calbar.ca.gov.

The Contra Costa County Bar Association has a similar site that will be more specific to your location. Their site is located at www.ccba.org.

Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at http://www.martindale.com/.

Additionally, there is quite likely a legal aid society in your area. A quick internet search and/or phone book search should locate the society closest to you.

Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases and that would provide services for free or at a reduced cost.

As to a public defender, your son would need to make his first court appearance. At that appearance, he would indicate that he cannot afford an attorney and request the judge to appoint a public defender for him.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Relist: I already new that..
I already new that.
My apologies, after reading your question it appeared that you were only looking for assistance finding an attorney. If you need something else, please let me know.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.