Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I assaulted my x boyfriend who lives with me here and there…

Customer Question
I assaulted my x boyfriend...
I assaulted my x boyfriend who lives with me here and there and now am charged with a class 1 misdemedor. He fought my brother and woudlnt' let him go (out of anger towards me) and so to break them up, I bite him. Now I'm charged with a class 1. What are my changes of getting that removed or not charged at all. He doesn't want to continue the charges against me, but VA still has the charges bec of the court system.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

Whether or not a prosecutor pursues a matter is an issue of prosecutorial discretion. However, the prosecutor may be willing to consider your ex's preference in the matter.

Your best bet is to retain an attorney and have your attorney evaluate the evidence against you and negotiate with the prosecutor. Your attorney may find that you have defenses available or he may be able to negotiate to minimize the impact of the matter.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).