Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

(North Carolina) My son is 20 years old. He plead guilty…

(North Carolina) My son is 20...
(North Carolina)
My son is 20 years old.
He plead guilty 5 years ago to a Class C felony for a stupid prank in school that could have harmed a teacher.
He was given 2 years of probation and successfully completed that.

9 months ago he was a willing participant in a break in at an unoccupied church.
In a sworn statement, he stated that he drove the vehicle, entered the building, but refused to carry anything out. He did not attempt to sell any of the stolen property.
He has been charged with:
Felony Breaking & Entering on a place of worship
Felony Larceny ($4,000) value of stolen property (which has been returned)

Since his initial arrest, he has spoken to the congregation and asked for forgiveness.
On behalf of the congregation, the minister wrote a letter the to District Attorney asking for lenience.

The other two participants have received misdemeanor convictions.
Because my son has a prior felony conviction, his public attorney indicated that he should accept a plea bargain.
To plead guilty to one charge of Felony Larceny. A Class G felony.

Today, I get the full story and don't have advice for my son. What should I tell him to do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post, with the plea is there any mandatory jail time?
No, he will have to complete 2 years of supervised probation.
I failed to mention that he must appear in court on Monday, June 28, 2010.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX take the plea. He really does not have a defense since he did conspire to carry out and participate in the crime.
He continues to state to me over and over that he won't be able to do anything in life with 2 felony convictions. We don't fully understand his rights.

Will he be able to get one or both of these convictions expunged some day?
Can he attend College?
Will he be allowed to Vote?
Will he have to sell his hunting rifle?
Hello, from your description he will have two felony convictions in any event, i.e. whether he accepts the plea or not. The only issue is really the punishment attached.

He can attend college with the two felony convictions, however he cannot vote, and cannot possess firearms (in fact he is not lawfully able to possess a firearm with one felony conviction). He will not be eligible for expungement.
I have just one or two more follow-up questions related to the restoration of any rights in the future and the possibility to request a "Pardon" however, you have answered my initial question to my satisfaction and I am willing to click on Accept Answer.

If I click Accept Answer, will our Q & A session?
Hello, please do click Accept, it will not end our session but is the only way that I will be compensated for assisting you.
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
I Accepted Your Answer.
Follow-up
Do you have any advice about his restoration of voting rights in the future and the possibility to request a "Pardon"
Hello, he can request a Governor's pardon, but bear in mind that this is only granted if there are exceptional circumstances or the party requesting the pardon has gone on to distinguished public service. After serving his probation, his North Carolina voting rights will be restored, he will simply have to register to vote.