Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Please help I was convicted of assault in 2000 and then order…

Customer Question
Please help I was convicted of...
Please help
I was convicted of assault in 2000 and then order to pay restitution to the victim who as i understand drank himself to death while i was still incarcerated. I was released in 2004 and was told by my parole officer not to worry about the restitution when i asked about it.

I was released from parole in 2007 and never heard anything about it, until now.
i just received a DEMAND FOR PAYMENT (COURT ORDERED) in the amount of $21,378.63
I have been completely rehabilitated I just received a TWIC card from the home land security department stating that they are satisfied of this fact.

This is the very first time that i have been contacted about this restitution matter by ANYONE EVER! I have been out of work for over a year with a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery.

I do not have this kind of money and the thought of being sent back to prison on top of all of the other scary things that this court ordered debt collection is threatening is absolutely horrifying I have been working very hard these last 6 years to be a law abiding citizen and but my life back together.

Also can they seize my transportation and what little i do have in the bank?
What can I do? what can they do?

I am not a bad person by any means and right now i am scared to death

Please help me with this matter
Gerald N Lee
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/24/2010
Criminal Lawyer: DCrane Law, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Thank you for the post Gerald, it is not as bad as it seems. You simply need to retain an attorney to respond to the court order and request that you be placed on a payment plan. Your attorney's motion would explain of the circumstances since your release, including your reasonable reliance on your parole officer's direction "not to worry about the restitution." Since the party to whom the restitution is directed is deceased, there is less of a pressing need to submit full, lump sum payment, since the proceeds are ultimately going to his estate.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hello, what else would you like to know?
Can the franchise tax board attach a joint bank account? and can they sieze my onley vieical?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is within its power to both levy a joint bank account and seize your vehicle. However, if your attorney advances the argument that your vehicle is your sole source of income and your adhere to a payment schedule it is unlikely the Board will take either action (i.e. levy or seizure of vehicle).