Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i live in portland oregon and i need to no what is the most…

Customer Question
i live in portland oregon...
i live in portland oregon and i need to no what is the most my po can give me for walking away from a treatment program for drugs i recently lost my husband and relaps after 3years clean my po wouldent let me pack up my home before going in and wasent able to focus being worried about my belongings i have tried to get ahold of her to let her no im not trying to run and that i will go back but i need time to get my belongings in order so i can focus on my treatment but im scared so what is the most time she could give me if she wants to be a bitch
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/24/2010
Criminal Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Lawyer
You could be sent to jail for the remainder of your time you have left on probation if you are found to have violated probation.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

so even though i wasent court order and i voulentary signed papers and went to treatment she could send me back to prison where i havent been for over ten years which im on parole not probation because ni relapsed speacilly after the last two years ive been a full time student and holding a part time job she could send me back for relapsing and then walk away from a program i said i would do and she never mentioned jail giving me an altimative she just said youre going to treatment im really confussed
I'm opting out. Good luck to you.
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

When you are on parole, you are already a sentenced prisoner. In order to remain at liberty you must comply with the terms set for you by your PO. I'm sure you already know this, because you've been out and on parole for a long time. One of those conditions is that you must lead a law abiding life. If you are using drugs again, that would be a technical violation of your parole, even though you have not been arrested for it.

That said, Parole isn't stupid. They know that people with drug problems can relapse, and they know you well enough to understand the emotional strain that you must be under as a result of your unfortunate loss. Seems to me as if they were probably willing to work with you, which was why they wanted you to go immediately into treatment.

I know you're scared, but the longer you wait to contact your parole officer and to arrange for another treatment opportunity, the more likely that you will end up with the result you will want least of all.

Some states will make you serve out the rest of your sentence when you violate parole. Others afford defendant's other options. Oregon is a state where they have a wide range of sanctions other than jail that they use to fit the offenses. Their "structured sanction program" should be good news for you. They have a point system that you can read about here and you can see the actual grid they work with here.

Using the grid and what they know about you, Parole will determine the length of your sanction by figuring out your risk level, and by looking at the nature of your conviction, and the seriousness of your violation. They do not have to incarcerate you for long or at all, and can authorize more helpful sanctions such as another opportunity for residential treatment or even house arrest.

I don't have enough information about you to do the math, but it doesn't look like your facing a lot of time if you get on this quickly.

Good luck.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.

Edited by FranL on 6/24/2010 at 9:03 PM EST