Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

what to do if you were told you had a warrant

Customer Question
what to do if you...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Chat Conversation Started
FranL :

FranL :

Do you know what the warrant is for?

Customer :

I was told Identy Thefth

FranL :

So this is a warrant out for your arrest on a criminal charge. Did you miss a court date?

Customer :

I have never been charged with anything or been to court

FranL :

How do you know there's a warrant out for you?

Customer :

a friend said she was on cocourts and found it

FranL :

Do you have any reason to believe that you could actually be charged with this offense?

Customer :

i have never done anything wrong

FranL :

That's my point.

FranL :

Thank you.

FranL :

Sometimes people have the same names. Or, someone gets charged with a crime and uses the name of someone he knows rather than gives his real name.

Customer :

ok thank you

FranL :

Or, you may have had you ID stolen at some point in your life, and this is a result of that.

Customer :

thank you

FranL :

But you still will want to know more about this, because you don't want

FranL :

the police to think it's you, if you're stopped for a speeding ticket, for example.

FranL :

What you DON"T want to do is to call the police and ask them about it.

FranL :

But it would be worth it to get yourself fingerprinted somewhere and send away for your official criminal history.

FranL :

The website goes by name. Your RAP sheet would go by prints. If it's clean, there's no warrant out for you.

FranL :

It costs $18 to get your complete state and federal criminal history from the FBI. Here's the FBI site that tells you how you can get this to prove that no record exists against you.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.