Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

my son received a second owi and was told by the chief of police…

Customer Question
my son received a second...
my son received a second owi and was told by the chief of police thru our county attorney, that he can not operate a private golf cart on the city golf course because of this. We have heard several answers to this, including the comment,"i've never heard of anything this stupid'. Could someone tell me what the law actually means, by not being able to drive a motor vehicle if you have lost your license due to an owi? Thank You very much. Steve.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/22/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

It is true that a person can receive an OWI in Iowa for operating a golf cart while under the influence as a golf cart is considered a "motor vehicle" : http://www.robertpetersonlaw.com/Vehicular%20Offenses/OWI%20in%20Iowa.aspx

However, the issue with your son's driving restrictions is that you don't have to hold a license to drive a golf cart on a golf course. A 12 year old kid can drove a golf cart around a course. As long as he's not operating a vehicle on a public road, he can't get in trouble for it.

However, if he were to drive the golf cart on a public road, he could be in violation of his license suspension.