Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i got arrested 6-17-10 for something I didnt think it was…

Customer Question
i got arrested 6-17-10 for...
i got arrested 6-17-10 for something I didn't think it was my fault. I was a victim. I cashed my payroll check at a bank and they gave me 1100 in 100. dollar bills on 6-15-10. I went to a pharmacy to pick my husband and my medication gave the receptionist a $100. she swiped the pen on it and said to the male pharmacy what do we do if the money if it looks counterfeit? They called a police officer.
When she came she took me outside to read me my rights. another police officer came and was rued to me at the beginning they questioned me where did I get the money I told them I cashed my check at American savings and gave me the $100. I got hand cuffed,searched he took me to the police station and charged me with forgery pending. I was embarrassed in the public, lost time from work. What procedures can I take with this matter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/18/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

hi

so what is that status of the situation? do you still have the charges pending? or did an investigation have the charges dismissed?

it is still pending.

hi

thank you for that information.

what you must understand is when a crime is reported, the police can only respond accordingly. not knowing if you are telling the truth or not is insignificant to them - i am sure you have heard the saying "tell it to the judge". the police's only duty is to respond not to sort the facts at the scene.

therefore, unless you can prove that the police acted with negligence this is not any type of false arrest - which is what i believe you are trying to get at. they had a job to do and proceeded accordingly.

now, it is up to the District Attorney to verify what you have said - and to investigate the bank to see if somehow the counterfeit monies got into the banks drawers for public consumption.

Edited by Samuel-II on 6/18/2010 at 2:06 PM EST