Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

is it legal to discuss a clients case, with a family member…

Customer Question
is it legal to discuss...
is it legal to discuss a clients case, with a family member by his attorney without permission or even knowledge of said discusions by the client. ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

­Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

An attorney should not typically discuss a client's case with the client's family. An attorney has a duty to maintain confidentiality for his client, even with regard to the client's family.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).