Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter was fired from her job on Saturday. The employee,

Customer Question
My daughter was fired from...
My daughter was fired from her job on Saturday. The employee, who is also her manager, claimed he saw her take a quarter and act as if the young man playing the game had won the prize. The manager said I seen what you did and took the stuffed animal from the young man and made my daughter go to the office. The sheriff charged her with theft of goods. My daughter said Mr. Scott has been doing the same type of things to her. She has not been on the job for a month. She said the people usually fuss with him and tell them they will tell his supervisor. I signed some papers for her to be released to me on Saturday. Today, the sheriff called me for me to come in and sign some more papers to show up for family court. I don't know if I should sign anymore papers. On Saturday, I was told she was being charged for stealing a quarter. Now, he said she's being charged for stealing a stuffed animal. The sheriff also told me that they will not provide a public defender until the trial.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/16/2010
Criminal Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. Are you asking if the termination is legal?
No, I need to know what am I suppose to do if we disagree with what the manager claims my daughter did. I also need to know can she be charged with theft of something that he has possession of. He is the theif taking something from someone who won.
I need to know if I should sign the papers.
I need to send this to a criminal law expert on that issue.
June 16, 2010
Will I here from you today?
someone should take over but I do not know when.
I did receive your message saying someone will take over. I am still waiting.
I am sorry no one has taken over yet
It is June 20, 2010. I have yet to receive an answer.
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
I would suggest not signing anything without having it reviewed by a local attorney.

You can get a free consultation from some of lawyers listed at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Criminal-Law/Louisiana

My opinion is that it would be a clear violation of her rights to counsel and to due process of law for the court to refuse to appoint a lawyer until the day of trial. Lawyers need to discuss the facts with the client, make an investigation, do research and prepare for trial and no lawyer can do that if he or she is appointed at the start of the trial. If I were in that situation I would say Your Honor I am unable to proceed and need a continuance to meet with my client in private, and prepare for a trial.