Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

can i get a public defender before charges are read

Customer Question
?...
can i get a public defender before charges are read ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/16/2010
Criminal Lawyer: J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
You need to go to your local public defender's office and request a public defender. They will have a qualification form that needs to be filled out, but your husband will have to sign it. That means that, in order to get an attorney before the arraignment, you will need to convince them to take to either take the form down to the jail, or you will have to take it, to get him to complete it.

Once completed, then you can submit it to the PD and they can either grant it (if you qualify) or reject it (if you don't qualify). If granted, then the PD can meet with your husband in jail prior to the arraignment.

It is technically possible to have a PD prior to arraignment. Practically speaking, however, this hardly ever happens. In order to make it happen in your case, you will have to take charge, get the application and shepherd it through the system.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.