Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Im getting charged w/ a felony (for a white collar crime)

Customer Question
I'm getting charged w/ a...
I'm getting charged w/ a felony (for a white collar crime) not that it matters because I know a felony is a felony. This is for a crime that occurred over 4 yrs ago and has since caught up. Not that I was avoiding anything it just took that long because several where involved. Will I ever be able to take my son's hunting? Can I carry a black powder rifle? I am a die hard patriot who got mixed up with a wrong crowd several years back when I was in my early twenties. Hunting is my thing and guns and making ammunition is what I take very seriously. I have a concealed carry permit and because of this stupid mistake I fear I will never be able to share my passions with my sons. Any advice?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/16/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm by a convicted felon or by a person who was convicted of a crime punishable by more than one year in prison.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if the crime was punishable by a prison term of more than one year or was a felony, it is not legal to have a gun anywhere in the USA absent permission a state pardon or having your civil rights restored by the state.

Thank you,

FLAandNYLAWYER

Edited by FLAandNYLawyer on 6/16/2010 at 9:42 PM EST
Does this mean I will not be able to work at the gun shop anymore either? What can I do to restore my rights?

Does this mean I will not be able to work at the gun shop anymore either?

Unfortunately that is correct.

What can I do to restore my rights?

You may petition the court for an expungement at a later date