Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How to get my record cleared

Customer Question
?...
How to get my record cleared ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/16/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Do you have a conviction?

Yes, I have some misdemeanors on my record that I would like cleaned up.
These were bad check charges. I live in Alabama, near Birmingham and if I need to get an attorney please let me know who or what firm I need to call.
Hi there,Sorry about the wait - I had to log off for a little bit. Unfortunately, if you have a conviction, you're not eligible for Expungement. Only persons who can prove that their identity was stolen (§41-9-645), persons subject to investigation of child abuse not resulting in a conviction (§26-14-3), persons whose criminal conviction is reversed (§36-18-26), or persons who satisfactorily complete preprosecution or pretrial diversionary programs (§45-8-82.40) may ask the district attorney to petition for expungement.The bill that is being reviewed will allow Alabama residents to expunge their first misdemeanor as a "freebie," but it's not law yet. Likely won't be for a while.Your best bet is to get a PARDON, and then you can get an expungement. Pardon information is here:http://www.pardons.state.al.us/

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Judge Mathis said that he got his criminal record expunged and this is where I found the Just Answer site. You say I cant get mine expunged. I dont accept the answer. The reason I asked the question on this site was because I found it on Judge Mathis site. If he said you can get your record expunged I believe him.
(1) JustAnswer is not affiliated with Judge Mathis.(2) "Judge Mathis" is a show on TV. If you want to chose the word of a TV persona over the blackletter statute law I have stated, then that's your choice.(3) I would rather tell you the truth than lie to you and get your money.Best of luck.

Edited by Eli on 6/18/2010 at 9:58 PM EST