Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Were in Johnston County, NC. My 17 y/o son has no convictions,

Customer Question
We're in Johnston County, NC...
We're in Johnston County, NC. My 17 y/o son has no convictions, but has a pending court case to answer charges of property damage and contributing to the delinquency....He got into a fight and we think the victim wants to press assault charges now. I want to know, if he does get the additional charge, what is he facing punitively with the this and the previous charges? What is the bail for this charge and also can his lawyer arrange for all the charges be answered on the same court date if he is arrested?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/14/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What is he charged with criminally, specifically? Does he have any priors?

I thought i gave that info already. Prior/pending charges: contibuting and damage to real property. Possible:assault with attempt to maim or injure.

Sorry, I misread and thought that was also part of the current charge in conjunction.Can you please tell me with the prior charge, what grade of offense was he charged with - misdemeanor, felony? What level (1, 2, 3, A, B, C)?
not sure of the level, but they were misdemeanors.
Willful and wanton injury to property is a Class 1 misdemeanor and he faces up to one year in jail. Simple assault is a Class 2 Misdemeanor ($50 or 30 days). If it is aggravated, then it's a regular Misdemeanor (two years and/or fine).

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

You never answered if the charges could be combined for the same court date or does it have to be separate? What's the difference between simple and aggravated assault?
My apologies.The charges would NOT be combined since they did not stem from the same incident nor have the same elements. The difference between simple and aggravated is subjective, but generally speaking: simple is just a few punches; whereas aggravated is w beating and/or with a weapon.