Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I own a piece of property at Lake Anna. Sometime between 2007-2009…

Customer Question
I own a piece of...
I own a piece of property at Lake Anna. Sometime between 2007-2009 the HOA there agreed to another homeowner to construct a boathouse at the end of my property. NO ONE notified me. Dominion VA Power had to give permission. The HOA was responsible to notify me. They didn't. All communication between them and myself was zero during this period of time. They are playing CYA and will not give me any information. Isn't this collusion and criminal trespassing? What can I charge and to whom for what? My property was torn up and is trying still to regrow. My property HAD to be used by heavy equipment coming and going. I was NEVER notified of anything. What can I do? Thank you. xxx
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/14/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This is not criminal, but it's civilly actionable. You need to threaten litigation, or actually sue. Let me explain.
Lawsuits are made up of causes of action, in other words, to file suit, you need a cause of action (at least one).

You can file multiple causes of action together. All causes of action have different elements you have to satisfy. For example, “negligence” is proven if there is (1) a duty owned to Plaintiff and (2) the Defendant breached that duty.

It takes too long to explain all elements of each cause of action, but from my knowledge, you have a lawsuit for the following causes of action: private nuisance, trespass, and negligence.

Some elements of the causes of action different by state due to different evolution of local law, but they are generally nearly identical.

If the hearing is by Judge (“bench trial”), the Judge decides. If the hearing is by Jury (“jury trial”), a majority of the Jury has to decide towards one way. Although a lawsuit is automatically set up to be heard as a bench trial, either party can request a jury trial. Defendants usually prefer a jury trial since it’s harder to convince a few minds, rather than one.

In the end, the Judge or Jury that decides whether or not the elements for each of the causes of action were satisfied, and if so, what damages are needed to rectify the situation. Note that if you win, you may also get your legal fees and attorney fees tagged unto the award.

Know, however, that 85% of such cases are resolved with a stern demand letter from your attorney and perhaps a draft petition included with it. That usually scared them to make a deal to avoid litigation. When you hire an attorney, try to hire them on a contingency basis, i.e. they don't get paid unless you do (usually about 33%, or 40% if reward is from trial). I can help you find an attorney in your area who specializes in these kinds of matters if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

<p>If they are found guilty of nuisance, negligence and trespassing, could this be enough to "disban" the existing HOA?</p><p> </p><p>Thank you,</p><p> </p><p>xxx</p>
Stacey,Unfortunately not.