Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What happens when you have 2 misdemeanors, and one DUI on your…

Customer Question
What happens when you have...
What happens when you have 2 misdemeanors, and one DUI on your record and you are now going to court for a new misdemeanor charge? Should you take a lawyer? Do you misdemeanors stay on your record? Will this judge see the prior misdemeanors? Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/12/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Chat Conversation Started
FranL :

Yes, misdemeanors stay on your record, and yes, the judge and the prosecutor will see your priors.

If you've been out of trouble for a long while, and your current charge is non-violent and nothing too serious, you may be able to resolve your case without having to worry about jail. But sooner or later, if you keep getting arrested, you wear out your welcome in the criminal justice system, and the stakes go up. You've admitted here to two prior misdemeanors and a DUI, which in most states, is also a misdemeanor. So this one is #3 or #4. If you've never been made a jail offer, this could be the time when your luck changes.

Again, there's a lot don't know about your criminal history and this case, but if you can afford a lawyer, you should hire one, and if you can't, plead not guilty at your arraignment and ask the judge for a public defender.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.