Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

i was arrestedfor shoplifing of items totalling under $250.

Customer Question
i received a fine in...
i was arrestedfor shoplifing of items totalling under $250. i received a fine in the mail with 10 days to file and no court date. i plead guilty by marking the box on the letter and mailed the fine. i was not offered an ard program or probation w overd. now im trying to find a job and its on my criminal background check. this is my first offence and now i cant get a job. how can iappeal this or have it expunged. i never had a chance at a court date? Do I have to wait five years to file an expungement.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/9/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Unfortunately, only non-conviction data can be expunged in Pennsylvania unless the offender is over age 70 (and arrest free for 10 years) or deceased (for at least 3 years).

You can read the statute at the following link.
http://www.expungementpa.com/pennsylvania_expungement_law.htm

However, you may wish to discuss with your attorney the possibility of a pardon. You can read a great deal about pardons at the following link.
http://www.lasp.org/file/pardon-information.pdf

The pardon application is located at the following link.
http://www.recordgone.com/pardons/Pennsylvania-Pardon-Application-Form.pdf

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).