Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My boyfriend was arrested last night for domestic abuse and…

Customer Question
My boyfriend was arrested last...
My boyfriend was arrested last night for domestic abuse and battery, but I didn't press charges. What happens now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/9/2010
Criminal Lawyer: KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker replied 8 years ago
KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

Just because you don't press charges doesn't mean that there will be no charges against him. The ADA will decide whether to bring those charges. What happens now? Either they will let him go and nothing further will happen, or they will keep him longer and charge him with something. There isn't much you can do besides waiting to see.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly