Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Do you need a lawyer in a DUI case if you are planning on a…

Customer Question
Do you need a lawyer...
Do you need a lawyer in a DUI case if you are planning on a plea out anyways, can that not just be discussed by the DA and the accused with attorney if waives rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/9/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

No, you do not need an attorney if you decide to plea out, but it is very strongly suggested for a variety of reasons. First, it is not certain that the DA will accept the plea. Second, the plea you may get may not be the best or most ideal option for you. Third, by waiving rights the DA may simply choose to pursue you court for a full conviction. It is really up to you to try it, but it may be wiser to get an attorney involved.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/9/2010 at 5:43 AM EST
Ok so does it matter who pleads it out? It just seems like a lot of money when I am bargaining for that much of a reduction in penalty plus attorney fees $2001. Will the DA discuss plans for a plea agreement with me before I decide if I was an attorney. That is just his plea fee, if we go to trial he wouldnt even give me the figure on that. What is a reasonable attorney fee for plea bargaining on a DUI misdeameanor B?
Attorneys generally are able to get a better plea when they speak with the DA--not always, but almost always. The DA may choose to not negotiate with you--that I cannot speculate on, but I have seen it many times as many assume that the defendant is not very educated, and as such do not want to speak with them. Usually a full trial/defense of a DUI can run anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000. Expect to pay anywhere from $600 to $1,500 for a negotiation.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/9/2010 at 5:59 AM EST