Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I recently recieved a notice of violation of running a red…

Customer Question
I recently recieved a notice...
I recently recieved a notice of violation of running a red light in Marysville CA. After reviewing the video and asking friends and family I am considering fighting this citation. I have been driving for over 45 years and never had a moving violation and I am asking here for a considerate dispassionate opinion as to whether an impartial jury would find me guilty. The video can be viewed at my web site http://mp.polymicro.net/~davec/rw/redlight.html
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/9/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Thomas Swartz
HelloCustomer

I believe you have valid grounds to fight the citation. After watching the video, it appears to me that you did come to at least a very momentary stop. And it also appears that when you stopped your front wheels were on the white line, but they did not completely cross the white line. It is also clear that you were watching the car proceeding through the intersection from the other direction, and that you proceeded only when that car had cleared the intersection and there were no other cars coming. It is a very borderline case. I don't believe there is a clear violation. If I were on this jury, or if I was the judge, I would find you not guilty.

Thomas