Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

i once worked at burdines in 1990 and admitted to giving away

Customer Question

i once worked at burdines in 1990 and admitted to giving away some clothes was charged w/ grand theft given probation and i was on my way to college so they transferred the probation to atl and I reported to the officer. Fast fwd: I have been a flight attendant for the past 12 yrs and on the 27th of may I was arrested while working a flt to go to montego Bay and customs came onto the aircraft to tell me that miami had a warrant for me from 1990 went to jail was extadited from orlando to miami given a $100 bond and relased and told to come to court on the 21st of june what are my rights and the statute of limitations?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

A bench warrant never expires - thus, there would be no statute of limitations claim.

It is likely that you'll receive a small fine and probation. If they let you out on a $100 bond, they're not too worried about you. You should go to court and get this behind you once and for all.

If you want an attorney, you should consult with one. However, you could go to court and see what the judge has in mind regarding your charges and if you think you'll need an attorney, the judge should give you time to secure counsel.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i didnt have a bench warrant this warrant JUST popped up this yr in 2010 not on any background checks or anything and it was an ac warrant and someone from the state did not do their job and put in system that I was on probation in atl for this with their permission
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

You said that you were told that they had a warrant for your arrest, and you likely did if you had a charge and you failed to appear in court.

You would not have been arrested without a warrant being outstanding.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

ok well why did it just show up? it doesn't make any sense actually it showed up feb 2010 and a police officer informed me when i got a speeding ticket and i have had plenty of tickets before

Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

It is odd, but it is also possible that this warrant slipped through the cracks. I was in court last week and saw a warrant from 1985 that was just served and the guy had lived in the same address all those years, served on a jury, went out of the country, went through road blocks, etc.

I can't explain why it just appeared, but if you were arrested, it is there and must be dealt with.