How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend has been on the ISP system for the past 18 months.Abiding

Customer Question

My friend has been on the ISP system for the past 18 months.Abiding by all requirements. He is doing very well. Determined to never go back to prison. His parole officer has been so difficult that he was assigned another, by his supervisor. For some reason, the previous officer has now taken over his case again. His license has been taken away without explanation, for 2 months. This effects his ability to work. My concern is this- Since he is up for parole Feb. 2011, I don't trust this officer. It appears that my friend is being set up to go back to prison, without just cause. What should he do without receiving any more repercussions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear jacustomer,


I hate to say this because it generally requires money (unless you can get the ACLU or a similar outfit involved), but if there is a rogue and power hungry little parole officer abusing his rights without any justification for his actions (perhaps he feels it is his right to inflict additional unofficial sentencing on his own?), the only avenue I see is for him to get a criminal defense attorney involved. That attorney can officially communicate with the supervisor and above, show what has been done by this PO and how he is violating your friend's civil rights, abusing his position for his own purposes, and needs to be removed. If you friend complains on his own, sadly, I see the bureaucracy being lazy and sweeping it under the rug. I feel for him tremendously, particularly since he has worked so hard to improve his situation and put the past behind him.


But someone needs to slap them in the fanny from a legal position, such as suit if need be - and your friend just isn't in the position I am sure, to learn 3+ years of law school in time to learn the law and the procedure and the nuances of whatever is going on. If he does anything, I can see repercussions because the PO may very well be unstable, and if your guys doesn't have an attorney ready to make a stink over it, he may be lost.


It is not fair, particularly when it costs money to hire someone who is a very strong professional in this area - but that is what he needs to do. And in the meantime, document all that is occurring and all conversations,dates, with whom, etc.



Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!


I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks


S. Joy, Legal Expert



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.


AlexiaEsq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


Thanks so much for your help. I do have a few follow up questions though. I have no experience with the judicial system at all, so pardon my ignorance.


1) What should be an expected rate for a criminal defense attorney?

2) How do I find a good one?

3)Once an attorney is hired how long do you think this process could take?

4)Will my friend need to go to court or would this all be handled by the attorney?


thanks in advance for your help. Its not fair when the judicial system claims to give people a second chance when in reality, thats not the case.




Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

1) What should be an expected rate for a criminal defense attorney? Hi, this really no expected rate, as it it like any one who provides a service, they decide on what they charge and the market will bear or not bear. I've seen $125/hour for someone very new to $650/hour. However, sometimes the best deal is to go on a flat fee - some will be willing to do XYZ for $2000, say. It may be where you can pay for an initial letter to go out, for a few hundred dollars (because he has to review the case a bit before writing it) or less, and see if it resolves it. Or, let's say the attorney looks at it and thinks your guy's civil rights are being violated and it could be a matter worthy of a contingent fee (not likely, but possible), that would be fantastic for your friend. There are also times when one can make a hybrid agreement, say a very low hourly rate (relative) combined with an ultimate contingent fee (if there was a possible lawsuit for civil rights with major damages) so the lawyer knows he at least will be paid something for the hours worked, regardless of outcome.

2) How do I find a good one? You can look in the yellow pages, online or at a website like (by locations and speciality).


3)Once an attorney is hired how long do you think this process could take? I really couldn't say, depends if they roll over and correct immediately, or ignore and someone has to file complaint.


4)Will my friend need to go to court or would this all be handled by the attorney? Again, depends if they roll or a complaint needs to be filed. It would seem that much of the evidence on behalf of your friend would be the lack of paperwork showing there was a justification for loss of license, i.e. no parole violations, etc. It really depends. If it went to a hearing, he'd likely have to be there to testify.


I would start with a criminal lawyer consult (even paying for it if you must) and look into the starting price - i.e. to try to get a lawyer to write letter depicting the grievance. Then taking it from there.


As for the judicial system - the big problem I have with this situation is a person, a clerk, for lack of a better word, a civil servant whose salary is paid for by we the citizens, using his position to fulfill his needs to be a bully, exact his own justice, etc. He should be in jail for that, JMO.


Good luck.