How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DCrane Law Your Own Question
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
DCrane Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question I live in the state of Maryland I had filed

Customer Question

I have a question I live in the state of Maryland I had filed 2nd degree assault charges against my ex boyfriend. When I filed these charges I was told they would not be picked up unless I had filled out a information form after 5 business days of filing. It has not been 5 business days as of yet and I see that there is a hearing already scheduled. I wanted to know how I would now go about having these charges dropped. When I spoke to someone yesterday they said that as long as I didnt fill out the information form they would automatically be dropped they said this without being familiar with the case. When I had spoke to the person yesterday I said that I had overreacted and that I had started the fight and hit him numerous times first. I guess now I just want to know how I would go out having these charges dropped before it goes to court?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the post, did you file a false police report?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No he did hit me but I had provked it. I actually didnt call the police I had went to the commissioners office. I had hit him several times before he hit me and when I filed the charges I was upset and not thinking clearly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry I also meant to say that I had hit him probably 3 or 4 times before he hit me back. I didnt even file the charges until a week later. I was told that, they would be able to be dropped and I do not want to pursue them. But when I looked on the website today I seen that there was already a court date.
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
ok, you need to contact the prosecutor assigned to the case and inform him/her that you do not wish to participate in the prosecution any further and desire that the charges be dropped.
DCrane Law and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much for your advice. I called and asked to drop the charges and even told them that it was me that had started the fight and that he only hit me to get me to stop hitting him. She said that being that there is a history of domestic violence which none is recent. Him and I had broke up in Jan we had a rough break up and in Feb I had him served with a protective order. He stopped acting stupid and got his act together so I didnt pursue anything other than the temporary one. Him being in any type of trouble could affect his job. Other than the temporary protective order him and I have never been in any type of trouble. I explained to the woman I spoke to that it was all a misunderstanding and that I didnt even file the charges until a week later and that there is proof it wa sme who started it and proof that I filed them because I was upset about something that had nothing to do with that. She said she doesnt know what will happen but she will let the attorney in charge of the case know. What do you recommend I do?
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
Did she say that the prosecutor will contact you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She said they will only contact me if they decide to drop it otherwise just show up at court on July 12th. Like I said it's really not his fault and I was not thinking I tried to explain this to her. Of course it was over the phone because I had to work. I go in late tomorrow and I was thinking maybe it would be better if I went in person. I just have no idea what to do at this point.
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 7 years ago.
you can try to speak with him/her in person, but you should be prepared for him/her to decide to move forward with prosecution.

Related Criminal Law Questions