AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

I got called into the backroom where I work the store manager

I got called into the backroom where I work the store manager and loss prevention person grilled me about it, telling me just to confess to it. I said it wasn't me but the video they showed just shows me at a printer and it can look either way you can't really tell whats happening. They asked if i'd pay for the damages I said yes if it just ends it I dont like trouble. So they wrote out a promissary note had me sign it. Told me to wait. Called in the cops, cops took statements, issued me a tressess pass and escorted me out, on the way asked if they wanted to press charges for criminal mischief they said yes. Then walked out to my car and left. Is there any way to intervine and just pay them what they want before charges and court?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Unfortunately, paying a sum demanded does not typically negate a crime if a crime has been committed. Further, any statements you make regarding the matter may be used against you in court.

Accordingly, you'll want to retain an attorney to assist you with your defense in the matter and with resolving any civil matter that may arise as well.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it wrong of me to ask them if there is a way to settle this peacefully?

The smartest thing to do would be to retain an attorney to assist you with the matter, as you could compromise your interests through statements you make, even if you have good intentions.

Unfortunately, once the matter reaches law enforcement, the state has the final word as to whether or not a person will be charged with a crime, though the prosecutor may consider the victim's wishes.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I see you've relisted the question due to "answer quality." What's do you perceive to be wrong with the quality of the answer?