How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4491
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son is being charged with illegal transaction with a minor

Resolved Question:

my son is being charged with illegal transaction with a minor under 16. He has no prior criminal record, has a full-time job, and is only 20 years old. Do I need to hire a criminal lawyer or go with a court appointed attorney? Also, the bond is very high, what are the chances of getting it lowered?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.

Sometimes court appointed attorneys are as good, if not better, than private lawyers. You may want to see who he is assigned and speak with them to see if you are comfortable with them. If you don't feel they will do a good job, you may at that point speak with private lawyers to find one that can help.

Once he gets a lawyer, his lawyer can file for a bail review and request that it be lowered. It depends on how serious the charges are. First and second degree transaction with a minor are felonies, and if charged with those, it will be harder to get a lower bail. Third degree transaction with a minor is a misdemeanor and an attorney will probably have a better chance of getting it lowered because the offense is less severe.
Hammer O'Justice and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you