Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my son is being charged with illegal transaction with a minor

Customer Question
under 16. He has no...
my son is being charged with illegal transaction with a minor under 16. He has no prior criminal record, has a full-time job, and is only 20 years old. Do I need to hire a criminal lawyer or go with a court appointed attorney? Also, the bond is very high, what are the chances of getting it lowered?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.

Sometimes court appointed attorneys are as good, if not better, than private lawyers. You may want to see who he is assigned and speak with them to see if you are comfortable with them. If you don't feel they will do a good job, you may at that point speak with private lawyers to find one that can help.

Once he gets a lawyer, his lawyer can file for a bail review and request that it be lowered. It depends on how serious the charges are. First and second degree transaction with a minor are felonies, and if charged with those, it will be harder to get a lower bail. Third degree transaction with a minor is a misdemeanor and an attorney will probably have a better chance of getting it lowered because the offense is less severe.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer