How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being charged with two summary offenses harassment and

Customer Question

I am being charged with two summary offenses: harassment and disorderly conduct. Will these show up on a State and Criminal Background? Also what are the chances I can have them dropped? What do I need to do because I feel they are unfair charges to what really happened.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Under 18 PA Code § 9124, a conviction of a summary offenses "shall not be used in consideration of an application for a license, certificate, registration or permit..."


From my understanding, it will not be entered into a state database as an offense. The record for a summary offense will just go to the local authorities and that is all. But that does not mean that it will not show up on a background check. It certainly could show up on a background check by an employer, depending on what method they use to do a background check.


If you did not commit the offense, don't plead guilty. You can demand a bench trial, and present your defense. Even if you lose, you really are not losing anything, except the court costs may be higher.

JPEsq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you and thank you for citing the PA code--which I will look into. One more thing that I am confused about... I was told I can request a hearing to tell my side... I did confront this person to ask her why she had this affair, but I did not threaten her. The conversation did get heated on BOTH sides. The police said because she had two witnesses (who were her friends--so I can only imagine how much they embelished) they could file the charges... I had a witness as well, so is it in my best interest to request a hearing and pay court costs or just pay the fines and hope it doesn't show up on a background check? I have never before been in any trouble and this is really upsetting to me.


Thank you!

Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.
If it were me, I would request the hearing. The charges can be filed, but that is only the thresh hold... they still have to prove their case in order to get a conviction.