P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My son has a suspended driving license from VA, He is presently

My son has a suspended driving license from VA, He is presently going to college in Texas, In September he would be eligible to get a restricted license. It would be easier to deal with if he could get a Texas license (with possiblility of getting restricted driving privileges) and deal with the Texas motor vehicle dept since he would be spending most of the year in Texas. He has completed most of the conditions. The offense was 2nd DUI. He is presently not drinking.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

You say

In September he would be eligible to get a restricted license.

Is this in VA?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, in VA in September it would be a year with following the conviction and be eligible for a restricted license. He will have completed all the prescribed actions like paid for fine, taken ASAP etc. With a VA restricted license, he would also be required to have a breathalyzer lock on his ignition. fro 6mos? not sure how long. It would just be easier if he could deal with Texas as he is going to college there. Like if he got a part time job, he could get permission to drive there. If he changed his address, like that then having to call and write VA everytime.
Agree, it would be easier to deal with in TX...and he can try this, but the answer from TX DMV will most likely be "he needs to work this out in VA"

TX DMV will enforce VA's suspension...so long has he has an active suspension from VA, TX will not issue him a license. Now, once he applies for and is granted a license in VA, that will be valid in TX as well...and at that point he would have a greater chance of getting the folks in TX DMV to work with him...but this needs to start in VA, since TX will not even consider granting him a license unless or until he clears up the VA suspension

Sorry to have to bear bad news.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.