How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to file an appeal regarding my case.I completed probation,it

This answer was rated:

I need to file an appeal regarding my case.I completed probation,it was terminated early and I would like to clear my name and record.Please advise

I doubt you still have time to appeal if you have already served probation.


If you're found guilty after a trial, you're entitled to an appeals process. This process varies depending upon the crime, but there are always time deadlines by which you must file an appeal.

In California, in criminal cases not involving the death penalty, you generally have 60 days following the judgment to file an appeal. Appeal of death sentences is automatic.

There are numerous reasons for an appeal from a guilty verdict in a criminal case, including what's called "legal error." Legal error may include:

•Allowing inadmissible evidence during the criminal process, including evidence that was obtained in violation of your constitutional rights
•Lack of sufficient evidence to support a verdict of guilty
•Mistakes in the judge's instructions to the jury regarding your case
You may also appeal due to misconduct on behalf of the jurors, or if there is newly discovered evidence to exonerate you.

In California, if you entered a plea of guilty or no contest, you may only appeal if the following conditions are met:

•You filed with the trial court a written statement under oath or penalty of perjury showing reasonable constitutional, jurisdictional, or other grounds relating to the legality of the proceedings that occurred in your case.
•The trial court has filed a certificate of probable cause for the appeal with the clerk of the court.

Daniel Solutions and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you