Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was pulled over by Indiana Police on April 24 for a OVI.

Customer Question
I had already crossed into...
I was pulled over by Indiana Police on April 24 for a OVI. I had already crossed into Ohio, the Indiana police called Ohio Police who then arrested me. I got a 30 day suspension for refusal to blow and then had a plea to a reckless opp. On May 25 I recieved a summons to appear in Indiana for the same OVI. Can this happen?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Unfortunately, yes this can happen as you committed a crime in 2 different states. You were spotted and followed and/or pursued by the Indiana police in Indiana. However, since they followed you into Ohio you were also operating that way in Ohio and the Indiana police had no jurisdiction in Ohio other than to detain you and call the Ohio police who charged you with the violations you committed in Ohio. The Indiana police have a right to charge you with whatever violations you committed while in Indiana, even if the violation happens to be the same one as you committed in Ohio as they were committed at two separate times, although a continuation of the same incident.

You should engage an attorney in Indiana and they can usually argue that the Indiana charge should be reduced based on the fact that you have already plead to the charge in Ohio, but they will make you pay something on this charge, since you know Indiana doesn't want to get cheated out of its money.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer