How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  J.D. degree, 15 years practice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was rape! It happen in Rigo Park, NY Last June! I try my

Customer Question

I was rape! It happen in Rigo Park, NY Last June! I try my police dep in New Jersey where I live and would not take the report! They tell me that I have to go to the police in the town it happen. I called and the directive treated me on the phone as if I was not the victim put the one that commited the crime.
How do I insure that I'm not treated like the person that commited the crime but the victim?
And also if I have the fisical proof how do I make sure it is not lost?
This person I was informed that he is illigal in the country, I file a report with ICE.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
dkennedy :

What city do you live in?

Customer: I live in Elmwood Park NJ
dkennedy :

I am so sorry this happened to you. I think part of the problem is that you waited so long to report the rape. There are rape crisis centers that help women and I tried to find one in your area. There were a few of the women's support agencies, but though they were close, I couldn't find one exactly in Elmwood Park NJ.

dkennedy :

The reason I am suggesting you go to one of those is that they know how to deal with the police and how to preserve evidence. They will also go with you if you need to talk to anyone. There are professionals that have helped thousands of rape victims. Please look in your phone book and find the closest one and make an appointment. Then, you will get the help you need to manuver through the "system". If you cannot find an appropriate agency, then call the local YWCA who often has that information. Good luck to you.

Customer: I did contact the rape crisis hotline and I spoke to them, but because I live in NJ they can't go to NY they don't cross states,I also called the rape crisis centerin NY and they referee me back to NJthat's the reason I needed info in how to dial with this on my own!Do u happen to know how, I can insure that my rights are not violated that's what I asked!And how to get legal representation if I'm poor and on desability or pro-Bono and how to go about it!
Customer: Mrkennedy,do u have info in legal representation that part of the question?