Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My brother just lost a trial and got convicted of 3 counts

Customer Question
premeditated (sorry if I misspell)...
My brother just lost a trial and got convicted of 3 counts premeditated (sorry if I misspell) attempted murder. He was 16 at the time the crime was commited. The victims can't identify him he was arrested bacause he took the blame of what happend, he was afraid he was gonna get in trouble with my dad he was afraid to get our family in trouble and like I said he took the blame. In the interrogation he was fed details of the incident and those details are the only facts that he knows about what happend. They did a gun powder test on him it came back negative, the victims can't identify him. When he got arrested they found a gun but the police don't know if it was his there were no fingerprints on it. The lead investigator during the trial said that he didn't think my brother commited this crime. They have no evidence and the jury still found him guilty. What can we do now. He was only 16....Plz help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/17/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Please Note: JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

He can discuss with his attorney whether or not there's possibly a basis on which to appeal the conviction or whether or not there might be some basis to have the conviction set aside. However, the grounds to set aside a conviction are usually very limited and appeals statistically don't succeed very often. For instance, if there were errors at trial and the attorney properly objected, that could provide a basis for an appeal. This will require a detailed look at the case.

However, the sad reality is that a conviction is typically a conviction and most convicted individuals are "stuck." Even so, it's something he should ask his attorney to consider.

He could seek a pardon. However, those are rarely granted. The state of California publishes an article about applying for a pardon at the following link.

How to Apply for a Pardon
http://gov.ca.gov/pdf/interact/how_to_apply_for_a_pardon.pdf

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Please click the green
Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer