Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In the state of Indiana - I was told that each day served on

Home Detention now counts as...
In the state of Indiana - I was told that each day served on Home Detention now counts as 2 days. Is that accurate? If so, how do I approach the court?
5/8/2010
No, under Indiana law, those on home detention are NOT eligible for good time credits. When you get home detention you must do every day of your sentence. See: http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2009/07/ind_courts_ait.html

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I have served seven months of a ten month sentence on Home detention - have earned all "good" merits and have recently had a new child. Under the reccomendation of the treatment facility - I am petetioning the court for a modification. Also, I own and operate a family business and ALSO work for the school - what are they legally suppose to allow me to do? My work for the school they are treating as leisure time.
You do not get good time under Indiana law, as you saw in the article above when you are sentenced to home confinement, you have to do the entire thing and there is no provision for early release. The purpose of home confinement is just like jail, it is not supposed to be pleasant but it is a lot more pleasant than sitting in jail. You can petition for a modification of sentence, but again, there is no provision for early release.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer