How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26826
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can forgery charged be dropped to a lessor charge

Customer Question

can forgery charged be dropped to a lessor charge
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

The prosecutor can decide which cases he wants to file and how to handle them. For purposes of a plea bargain, he has the authority to reduce an felony to a lower level felony or a misdemeanor, to dismiss a charge from a docket so that a defendant can plead to one of the less serious offenses, or even to add a charge (like disorderly conduct) so the defendant has something else he can plead to. He can even dismiss the case entirely.

Whether the prosecutor would be interested in reducing or dismissing a forgery charge is entirely in his discretion and would depend upon the facts of a particular case. But in general, there is always a plea offer available to a charge that is less serious than the top charge on the court papers, even if it would only be a lower degree of forgery.


If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.