How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a domestic fight with my live in girlfriend on sat, I

Customer Question

I had a domestic fight with my live in girlfriend on sat, I left and got a hotel room, I think she called the police and said she had been kicked in the arm, what should I do? I cant find out if the police issued a warrant or they just want to hear my side of the incident
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
You shouldn't speak to the police unless you know that they just want to file a follow up police report and aren't going to arrest you. Regardless, you are under no obligation to speak to the police, and shouldn't do so, since they will normally just use what you say against you.

I realize it may seem that you're hiding something by refusing to speak to the police, but all you have to tell them is that you don't want to speak to them without an attorney present and they cannot force you to talk to them unless they do have a warrant for your arrest.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I find out if there is a warrant issued at this time?
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
You can call the police and ask them to see if they will tell you.

If there is, the best thing for you to do would be to turn yourself in, of course, since you wouldn't want to get in more trouble by being charged with attempting to evade arrest.

They most likely would not detain you, and you just issue you a citation with a future court date with an arraignment, at which you can request a public defender.

Related Criminal Law Questions