How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question
Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 19 year old college student recently arrested for sho

This answer was rated:

I am a 19 year old college student recently arrested for shoplifting in memphis at macy's for an item totaling 24.99. I live in Mississippi but since i was caught in Memphis I was taken to jail for hours but was not confined to a cell.... thanks to pre-trial services I was released on a free bond. I don't have money for a lawyer and this is my first offense.... I'm utterly afraid because I don't know what to expect.... I just need any advice.... it is greatly appreciated

Since you have no money for hiring an attorney, ask the court to appoint a public defender. Public defenders are experienced criminal defense attorneys paid for by the courts and given to defendants free of charge.

Many people do not realize that public defenders are actually licensed attorneys. Nor do they realize that many public defenders have extremely good trial records. If you stole enough to be charged with a crime that could end up with a jail sentence, then you are entitled to a public defender, and you should request that one be appointed.

Be sure that you do not miss a court date. This is extremely important as a bench warrant for a more minor crime can end up causing you more legal problems than the original crime itself.

Since this is your first offense, it is highly unlikely that this will result in anything more than a fine. If you get an appointed attorney, you can ask about any local diversion program which might result in no actual criminal record. If that is offered, that would be best for your long-term future. As a college student with a future, you do not want your employability to be limited by a criminal conviction.

If no diversion programs are offered, perhaps your attorney can convince the prosecution to dismiss the case.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. I do not get paid for my work unless you click ACCEPT. Like you, I cannot work for free.

Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Cowgirl Lawyer."

Good luck and best wishes!

Cowgirl Lawyer

IMPORTANT: I am not your attorney, and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. My function here is to provide education to the public so that people can understand the law. If you accept my answer, you are accepting educational information. Please remember that this is a public forum. Anything you discuss here is not protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not take any action or fail to take action based upon our discussion here. I am an experienced attorney licensed in Illinois, but I do not hold myself out as an "expert" in any area of law (Illinois does not recognize such attorney specializations). Any representation to the contrary by JustAnswer is in error. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you