Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what are the steps to take if you sent money to someone as

Customer Question
a down payment on a...
what are the steps to take if you sent money to someone as a down payment on a truck bought on craigslist, and as soon as you arrive to pick it up you learn that they have just ripped you off?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/3/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

In such a situation, it would be possible to file suit against the individual to recover the money. The plaintiff may be able to recover his attorney's fees from the defendant if he succeeds in the suit.

If it appears that the individual never intended to fulfill the agreement and was trying to con the victims out of down payment funds, the individual may have committed a crime which could be reported to law enforcement.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green
Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
http://www.lawyers.com or http://www.martindale.com.

W?ho do I report this and what do I do first?

If you think a crime occurred (as described above), you could report it to the police and they'd investigate the matter.

It it wasn't a crime, it would be a civil matter. You'd want to retain an attorney to evaluate your matter in detail to help you determine whether you might recover the money in a lawsuit. The documents for the lawsuit would be filed at the Clerk of Court's office.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green

_____________________________________

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer