Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What does it mean to say that one or more hairs, or fibers

Customer Question

What does it mean to say that one or more hairs, or fibers associated with a suspect are consistent or substantially similar with another found at a crime scene??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

This would mean that while they couldn't match the evidence to the suspect to an absolute certainly, they cannot rule him out as being the perpetrator as a result of the forensic testing.

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

but doesnt it mean that he is 'likely' to be the perpetrator??

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
Yes, but how likely is going to depend on what kind of tests were done, their reliability, and statistical probabilities. (So if you're a defense attorney, you can still find some gray area for reasonable doubt).

___________