How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 39010
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

City gives me a letter requesting I move the gas mater ...

This answer was rated:

City gives me a letter requesting I move the gas mater ... when I do I am arrested for damage and theft of government property even though nothing was damaged nor stolen... charges were later droped... mayor stated he just wanted to teach me a lesson... ????? I never had any dialoge with him or others in the city... can I do anything about this?

You can sue for a civil rights violation under federal law: 42 U.S.C. §1983. This is actually a pretty big deal law suit. It should make for some great media attention.


For a civil litigation/civil rights lawyer referral, see: and


Hope this helps.


NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
LOL... I am not looking for attention... I would like to get my record expunged... and $ restitution for legal costs and an apology...
Maybe not, but a "1983" lawsuit is extremely unusual. It's the sort of law that was used to stop racial violence during the 1960s. And, it's the only way you will likely get your record cleared.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What right was violated?... I am not black or any special protected class... just a regular guy?

You were arrested without probable cause, under the instruction of a government official who knew that there were no grounds for the arrest. That is a crime under federal law (18 U.S.C. § 242), and the law provides the injured party with a civil remedy under 42 U.S.C. § 1981.


Government officials in the USA are not permitted to just arrest people because they feel like teaching them a lesson. That's something that I would expect from the Peoples Republic of China, or the former Soviet Union.

socrateaser and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you