How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DCrane Law Your Own Question
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
DCrane Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a simple mistermeaner domestic violence conviction in

This answer was rated:

I had a simple mistermeaner domestic violence conviction in oct 2003 in Iowa and lost my 2nd amendment rights to own firearms. I Have no other domestics and have not been in any sort of trouble since then. There was no weapon used in the situation. I used to be a gun collector and enjoyed target shooting. I am an ex military guy who sure misses the weekends at the target range. Is there any way to regain these rights again? I moved my gun collection out of my house to my fathers place and sold a few of them, but would love to have them back. The girl involved was a girlfrend of 3 months and did not live with me. Hindsite being 20/20 I wish I would have fought it instead of taking the plea. Can you help?
Thank you for the post, unfortunately, per the Lautenberg Amendment, you are not able to own firearms after a domestic abuse conviction. Your only recourse would be a Governor's pardon to erase the conviction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've heard of the Lautenberg amendment and am wondering if there is anything I can do to have such instances taken off my record. Is there any period of time to elapse for consideration or is this punishment for the rest of my life? Have you heard of any changes coming for this amendment? Is there some sort of form or special request to try and obtain a pardon that your aware of? I have several questions and appreciate your time. Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately there is no lapse or expiration on the ban, the "punishment" is for the rest of your life. Your only available option is a Governor's pardon.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please answer the 2nd half of the question before I close this out. How do you obtain a pardon? Is there a form to request? How do you go about doing this? thank you. Last question :)

Here's the application and filing instructions:



DCrane Law and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you