How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28062
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ok i was arrested for possession of marijuana under two ounces and was charged with a

This answer was rated:

ok i was arrested for possession of marijuana under two ounces and was charged with a class B Misdemeanor bonded on a 500 dollar bail. This is my first offense and i have a clean record other than this offense. My question is. Will i more than likely get jail time? Also i have a 3 year old daughter and a wife. I do have a job. And all i want to do is get on with my life and live a clean life. I am also in a rehabilitaion class and it is helping me to get clean and to stay clean. And also if i do get jail time then what do i do about some one watching my daughter while my wife is at work? She works till 9:00 pm central time. She does go to day care in the day but if i got to jail then there is no one to watch her after six.!!!
As a first time offender, it is highly unlikely you will get jail time. This is a misdemeanor and they normally have a diversion program for first time offender. The diversion program normally allows you to get the charge dismissed and keep your record clean. If you decide not to enter a diverson program or it is not offered, you may be faced with a fine and have to take a drug education class.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok im liking the answer but i am already in a drug education class and what is a diverson program

A diversion program is something offered by the Court, for first time offenders, to get the charge dismissed and to keep your record clean. You would need to ask about it at your first court appearance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry to keep asking you questions but i cant afford a lawyer in your opion should i ask for a court appointed lawyer?
Yes, you could ask for one who can provide you legal advise and look over the facts of your case to see if you have any legal defenses.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok do you think that i will get probation and or community service
If it is your first time offense, likely community service, if that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok im already in a diversion program will the judge take that in to consideration
Yes, it can help your case as long as it was not court related.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there anything else that might help my case
Just speak with the Court and try to get appointed a public defender to look into the specific facts of your case. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question and good luck. Please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.
CrimDefense and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you