Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How much authority should assistant district attorneys be provided

How much authority should assistant district attorneys be provided? As licensed attorneys, should they be provided a large amount of discretion to dispose of cases based on their best judgment, or should they have more limited authority so the office employs a uniform policy?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Is this a homework question?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this is a home work question.
How long do you need this to be?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
150 words or so, give or take a few.....thank you Eli.....................
Can I have 24 hrs for both questions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sure you can no rush..........
Assistant District Attorneys (ADAs) should be provided with a alrgge discretion in their job. The actual District Attorney only briefly handles criminal affairs and does not take majority of cases, or even knows about most of them. It would then be impractical to impose a limited authority that does not take into consideration the mitigating aspects of each case. Therefore, ADAs should be - and often are - given wide discretion to deal with cases.The other question got categorized to the "Homework" section and I have to wait for it to be re-catted back to Legal to tackle it. Should be another 12 hours or so.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”