Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What is the legality of failing to report a crime (i.e.

Customer Question
adult uses, shares, sells illegal...
What is the legality of failing to report a crime (i.e. adult uses, shares, sells illegal drugs with a minor)?
What is the legality of failing to report adult sharing pornography with a minor?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/16/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Could you explain your situation a little more?
Who are you asking about with respect to reporting the crime? The adult, the minor or a third party?

While I am assuming the actions of sharing drugs or porn with a minor are punishable offenses, what I am unsure of is the responsibility/culpability of another adult who is aware of the offenses, but does not report them to the proper authorities.

To reiterate, a third party (adult) who is aware of the alleged offenses, but does not report them. What is the third party's responsibility?

Additionally, the third party is only aware of the alleged offenses based on the testimony of the minor(s) involved. The third party is not an eye witness.

Thank you.

Dear JACUSTOMER - It is not a crime to not report a crime so long as you are not participating in the crime. If you are a participant or are doing to something to allow the crime to continue then you would be guilty of aiding and abetting. Since there is no duty to ever talk to the police there is not legal duty to report a crime. Obviously there may be a moral duty to protect the minor but if this is just based on hearsay then it may be doubtful that the police would act even it the crime was reported.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer