Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

When I came to the district court yesterday to attend court

Customer Question
in small town in Oregon...
When I came to the district court yesterday to attend court in small town in Oregon (I flew in there all the way from Sacramento, Cali. and drove 3 hours one way from Portland)... I went to check in with the clerk and was told I wasn't even in the system for a court hearing. When the clerk called the DA or whoever it was-- she told me that they are still "deciding" whether or not to press charges against me for the possession of vicodin that they found in my car. I also had suboxone (which was prescribed to me by a drug detox clinic) that they found when they searched my car-- that is prescribed to me legally other than the vicodin which i had with me for which i used for my tooth pains.
So is could it be that its a good thing that they haven't decided charged me with anything yet? its been almost a month since I was arrested. I was given a court date and everything given by the jail... I just feel like I wasted so much time and money just to get there on time). Am I in luck?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/7/2010
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

It could be a very good thing, yes. Typically, the longer a case lingers without formal charges getting filed, the more "stale" or cold it gets, and new cases continue to pour in that need to be reviewed. They may still be looking at it, but may decide there's just not enough to move forward and dismiss the case.

Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer