Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my son has been charged w/precursor to methamphetamine; state

my son has been charged...
my son has been charged w/precursor to methamphetamine; state police responded to a domestic (call was from 7 miles away) which took them 2-3 hrs to get there. no search warrant @ my home in wv (while i was christmas shopping) Son & girlfriend & 3 day old baby in hh let them in. In police report they took items which belonged to me & photos
of memorabilia from my deceased daughter's possessions to build their case. also a bottle of heet that supposedly had sudafed in it ( a very small amt.) My son gave them this stating it was not his. 11 mos later he is arrested /charged/& bonded out. 1 week before pre-trial motions he is diagnosed as bi-polar @ local hospital. At pre trial judge remands him to custody for evaluation; now has 30 days in jail; no return on bail; no answers as to when he can get out & counsel is wanting to plea bargain. What would be best course of action?? Also, they have consent form to search my son supposedly signed, but i have not seen the original and they did not leave a copy w/him..only domestic violence paper for girlfriend.. I returned home & had requested them to have a warrant via phone conversation earlier, but they left before i got back..
4/2/2010
Before you sue anyone, he has to get cleared at trial and the court will have to rule that not only is he merely not guilty, but that there were violations of the search and seizure laws and that the police should not have entered the property without a warrant. Until you have the criminal matter resolved and those issues addressed you would not be able to sue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer