How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118715
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive completed my federal probation. Ive gotten a letter from

Customer Question

I've completed my federal probation. I've gotten a letter from the Litigation Unit for the jurisdiction that I was on parole for, asking me for updated financial information, telling me that I have ten days to return it and that it's a federal crime to not give an accurate answer (not that I was planning to give an inaccurate answer, believe me). Do I have any rights in this process?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
No, if you have not made the payments as ordered as restitution, even though your probation ended this obligation remains and they can actually cite you for a probation violation/contempt of court for not making the payments as ordered. You cannot contact the judge directly, this is impermissible ex parte contact, you have to deal with the litigation unit. Unfortunately, you have to provide the information they are asking for because they are looking to either find assets they can take to satisfy the restitution or as proof that you do not have the means to make the restitution and if you do not have those means, then you need to get an attorney and seek to have the attorney file to have the restitution waived (if you cannot afford an attorney you can get a federal public defender).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Given that I have actually paid more than $200 a month, can't I ask them to resume payments? Even though they will get another $2400 in April from my earned income tax credit? I'm now terrified that they will violate my probation. I have two children and what do you recommend? I can manage to resume payments of $200 a month. Shall I do so immediately? I'll get them the information. Susan
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes you can ask this and in most cases they will agree to resume the payments. You do need to resume payments if possible and you also need to go sit with the federal public defender if you do not have your own attorney and have them help you responding to this inquiry to make sure it is done right.